Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New wrinkles

Oh man I’m not one to like the rain much, but it is a welcome change to have some rain right now.  Why am I so happy that it’s raining? Because it gets so stinking hot in Thailand, so it’s nice to have some cooler weather, plus it’s soothing to hear the rain drops falling on the roof.

The past week has been pretty uneventful.  Last week has been much of the same as the previous weeks.  Learning the language and teaching English.  Only slight difference is that I’m not going to Corner Stone Language School, and I’m receiving private tutoring.  The cost is the same and I decided to go with the private tutoring because my teacher at Corner Stone quit reasons, and I decided that I wanted to continue being taught by her since she’s really good.  Now I just get tutored in Pastor JJ’s home.  I’ve also been continuing to have morning devotions with Pastor JJ and Missionary Alex at 5:30 AM, and those have been really good.

It’s been a good time of reading scripture, prayer, and accountability.  One thing that I’m truly thankful for is my relationship with Pastor JJ.  He’s been very easy to talk to and we can talk about everything and anything for hours on end.  Even within his busy schedule He still finds time to mentor me, so praise God for a wonderful friend and mentor.  I think that’s another reason why I don’t feel the effects of loneliness here because Pastor JJ and I have so much fun.

Aside from the usual goings on of the week, lately I’ve been doubting how effective I really am, as an English tutor for my kids.  I tutor these kids twice a week for an hour, and I feel like it’s insufficient, especially with the 13 year old who’s trying to get out of intensive ESL and put into a grade level.  My heart goes out to him, especially knowing how frustrating it can be to master a language as hard as English.  In the short time since I’ve gotten to know him, I feel so invested him, and I just want to see him succeed…*sigh*…I gotta just put my faith in trust in God, that whatever I’m doing it’s still making some sort of impact.

I guess that’s all for now, I kind of left the last thought just linger, but I don’t know what else to say, but I’m definitely looking forward to going to Wiang Pa Pao this weekend because all the Jasper Kids will be back at the foundation since school started!  I’m definitely excited to get reacquainted with all the kids.  As promised from last week, I’ve posted pictures below of all that happened in the past two or three weeks.

Some villagers just chilling and eating during the medical clinic.

Pondtip and one of the Jasper Kids came out to help out at the clinic!  Always good to see familiar faces.

One of the few pictures of me, I'm watching over all the salon supplies as I eat lunch.

Pastor JJ translating at the dental station.  This lady is receiving a novacaine shot.

Junya (white shirt) is translating at the physicians station.  The doctor pictured was the only doctor available to do check ups and diagnosises (is that even a word)

Dental check up, they had all the dentist tools running on battery power!

The pharmacy station, to pick up medicine.

The clinic had an acupuncture station.

Junya translating the patients symptoms.

There was also a physical therapy station.

Our tour of Wiang Kam Kun's temple ruins, when Eli came to visit. Lef to right: Beam, Abby, and Junya in a carriage.
One of the figures on the temple, I don't know if it's a dragon, or a lion, or something else.

One of the temples, with a bunch of Buddha statues in laid.

Pastor JJ and his niece, Eli, posing in front of a tree at Rachaphruk Garden.
I don't know if this is a temple or a palace, but it's one of the main attractions at the Royal Garden.  The walk way is very long.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAH i love that last picture. nice. sorry for ruining the shot. =P

    1. WHOAH. the dental patients are just leaning their heads back. that is rugged.
    2. diagnostics? who knows. i'm the "minuets" girl. sigh..english going downhill for both of us.
    3. i miss ahjji already =(

    ReplyDelete