Friday, May 15, 2009

Dog...it's what's for dinner

This is not one of my normal posts, but I thought I should share my first experience eating 보신탕 (Bo Shin Tang) in other words, dog stew, korean style. I know that I'm in Thailand, so how did I come across this dish? Well since I've been helping out at the Symphony Art School, (the Korean center in the community I live in) I guess the missionaries know how to cook it and some how they got hold of some dog meat. Anyways, when I found out that dinner was 보신탕, I got very excited because I always wanted to try it. As I got my bowl of soup, I could immediately tell that there was a distinct smell to it, almost musky. That kind of threw me off, and it made me hesitant to taste it, but once I tasted it, it wasn't all that bad. It tastes like 감자탕 (Gamjah Tang) or Korean potato stew, spicy and savory. Then when I went ahead and tried the meat, suprisingly it was very tender, sort of sweet, and it reminded me of the shredded beef in 육개장 (Yuk Gae Jang), vey spicy beef soup. The only part that I couldn't eat was the cheek fat/tendon, I just kept imagining a dog's jaw, but otherwise the soup was tasty and savory. Would I eat it again? Hmmmm...if it was offered to me, then yes, but I don't think I will go out looking for it. Thought that I would just share this with ya'll. Now on to my next food adventure!

2 comments:

  1. .............................
    tender and sweet. just like a dog's personality.
    you're going to feel guilty next time you play with a dog.
    HAHHAAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha that person's comment up there made me laugh.
    seriously, can you look at a dog the same way now? hahaha iremember in Cambodia there were so many stray dogs EVERYWHERE. is it like that in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete