Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chicken Pox

As of now I have a single entry visa to Thailand, which allows me to stay in Thailand for 3 months and then another 30 days after I leave and re-enter the country.  Needing to stay for a year, I've started the process for a work permit, and one of the things that has to be done is to get a physical.  A couple days ago Pastor JJ takes me to the physician to get a physical, and next thing I know I'm at a pediatrician's office and as I'm sitting there, I look at the chart for the children's vaccinations, and one of the vaccinations catches my eye...chicken pox vaccine...so I ask Pastor JJ if the disease is still widespread in Thailand and he says yes.  Then I ask him if its wise to get the vaccination, and Pastor JJ looks at me funny and says yes and why?  Which I then say I've never had the chicken pox, which he replies with a perplexed look.  It makes me wonder, am I weird for my generation to not have come down with the chicken pox, because I don't remember a lot of kids when I was younger having it.  Anyways, as I go into the office to get my physical, the pediatrician asks me my name, birth date, and measures my weight on the scale, and then he tells me I'm finished.  No need to pull down my pants, turn my head and cough...quick and painless...but of course I didn't get to leave just yet.

The doctor and I had discussed getting some vaccination shots before my "physical"(Hep. A, Japanese Encephalitis, and chicken pox), but I thought we were going to do that another time, but he brings out these syringes and vials and he says lets do it right now.  So I'm preparing myself mentally to get these shots because I hate needles!  As I brace myself I felt a small prick and then the doctor tells me I'm done, I turn around thinking I didn't feel the needle, and as I look at the syringe, he was using the children's needles...hahaha...man was I relieved that he didn't use those regular big ones or even receive the shots on my butt (Pastor JJ kept telling that the doctor would).  Now I am half way there to being immune to the chicken pox!

1 comment:

  1. haha frank i never had the chickenpox before too (but i received the vaccination as a baby). i would much rather get 10 shots than go to the dentist :)

    i hope you're doing well so far! keep updating!

    ReplyDelete