Thursday, December 10, 2009

November Reflections

November has been an interesting month. I thought I would spend most of my time in Wiang Pa Pao because I had no business to attend to in Chiang Mai, but I ended up splitting my time in both places for various reasons.

One of the reasons being there was a huge festival that occurred in the beginning of the month called Loy Krathong. The whole purpose of the festival is to celebrate Buddha and it’s also a time where Thai people atone for their sins by placing it on floats that flow down the river or on sky lanterns (think of Chinese lanterns that have the ability to float like a hot air balloon) into the night sky. As I got to partake in the festivities, it was a sight to behold to see thousands of lanterns filling the night sky and fireworks going off to the left and right of me. It was a lot of fun to rub shoulders with Thai people and tourists alike as they were enjoying themselves in the festivities. At the same time I couldn’t help but think that there was something flawed in the whole festivity. If it were only that easy to atone for our sins, and ironically the lanterns eventually fall back to the ground, and the sins that these lanterns are carrying don’t really float away. I’m not trying to bash the festivity or the culture because like I said, it was a sight to behold and I enjoyed it myself. Plus, through this festival, you have an understanding that the Thai people have a concept of sin, which is a good starting point. Similar to a person who understands that they are sick and need help, than with the person who has an illness, but refuses to acknowledge it or receive any help. The festival is underpinned by this desire to be free from sin, and there is one who conquered sin, and offers us a way out, so it convicts me even more that Jesus needs to be shared here in this country.

Apart from going back and forth from Chiang Mai to Wiang Pa Pao and visiting new parts of the country like Pai and Nan, I feel myself being easily distracted these days. When I’m in Wiang Pa Pao, I have a lot of free time on my hands, and I’ve gotten lazier in some senses, and I’ve also having a harder time focusing on missions. I think it’s compounded by the fact that I’m nearing the last portion of my mission trip, it’s the holiday season, so I’m really starting to miss home, and I’m worried about the things I have to do when I get home (i.e. apply to schools). At the same time it hasn’t hindered me on what needs to get done like setting up for the JK Foundations first ever praise and worship contest in Wiang Pa Pao (I’ll blog on that separately), helping the Jasper Kids with their homework in the evenings and teaching skits and body worships in preparation for Christmas ministries. It seems that I haven’t given it my all, and in turn I’m not giving God my all. The whole month of November has been like that, trying to get used to going from having a structured schedule at GIS to more free time at the JK Home, and dealing with all the distractions. Fortunately, God has reminded this week, why I came here in the first place, and has given me a heart check.

As I was praying this week, I was compelled to read Psalm 57, and one portion of it stuck out, and it comes from Psalm 57:9-11 (ESV), “I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!” As I was reading it, I was reminded of the verse I used on my brochure, Psalm 67:1-3 (ESV), “May God be gracious to
us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations. Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!” He reminded me that I’m still here serving His purpose, not my own. Also, I need to continue to exalt Him and praise Him and let it be known that He is to be praised. In the midst of forgetting my focus and purpose, God through the Word brought me back to what I need to do. It was a much needed gut check, hopefully and prayerfully, I’ll live out my final months here exalting Him and letting the nation of Thailand know who God is!

Alright I think I’m all caught up with the blog. Thanks for your patience, and I’ll resume blogging once a week on everything that goes on. With the Christmas programs starting this weekend, there will be a lot to cover, so stay tuned. Please pray for the ministry that God will reign over it, and that He will be the focal point to everything we do. More of Him less of us.

Pictures after the jump


Picture courtesy of Wikipedia. Couldn't get any good photos of the sky lanterns with my camera, so this is similar to what I saw, very very pretty!

Courtesy of ourweb.info. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of my trip to Nan, but this is basically what I saw in the morning, a sea of fog sitting on top of the hills. Ridiculously beautiful.

Pictures I took from Loy Krathong. Look at the pretty fireworks.



Pictures from our trip to Pai


Found a dead frog in a hot spring. Fail! hahaha...

Sompon boiling some eggs in the hot spring. Delicious.


In a fabricated Yunnan village in Pai, got to ride this contraption.

At the Yunnan village the houses were made out of clay.

A van converted into a coffee shop. Pai's a funky little town.

Go Green, with a green roof.


A popular tourist spot in Pai, next to a coffee shop. Pastor JJ, Junya, and Ethan.


Narong enjoying the sights of Pai.

Bridge used during WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment